Virginia Banking Fellows Resources Portal
2022-2023 Virginia Banking Fellows Program
Congratulations for being selected as a 2022-2023 Virginia Banking Fellow. The VBA Education Foundation is excited to partner with the Virginia Foundation for Community College Education (VFCCE) for the pilot year of this program. We are looking forward to working with you over the coming months.
On this page, you will find all of the information you need to know during the 2022-2023 program.
Bank Sponsor Information
Thank you to the following Virginia banks for being sponsors of the 2022-2023 Virginia Banking Fellows Program.
|Virginia Banking Fellows Sponsored by the VBA Education Foundation||College|
|Fallon Fox||Mountain Empire|
|Sheila Guox||Laurel Ridge|
|Caleb Murphy||Patrick & Henry|
|Bank Sponsored Virginia Banking Fellows||Bank Sponsor||College|
|Rachel Absolu||The Bank of Clarke County Foundation||Northern Virginia|
|Madison Brantley||First Bank, Virginia||Laurel Ridge|
|Brooke Cook||Blue Ridge Bank||Blue Ridge|
|Catherine Culbertson||Atlantic Union Bank||Northern Virginia|
|Kevin Nguyen||Chesapeake Bank||Reynolds|
|Erica Wekony||American National Bank & Trust Co.||Virginia Western|
VFCCE Fellows Program General Information & Important Dates
The Virginia Banking Fellows Program is part of the overall VFCCE Fellows Program. Virginia Banking Fellows will have access the following opportunities through the VFCCE Fellows Program*:
- Program Orientation – September 15-16, Omni Richmond Hotel
- Virtual Mental Health is Health: Building Your Toolkit – October 14, 21 and 28th
- VCCS Student Leadership Conference – November 18-20, 2022, Roanoke
- 1st Community Service Report Due – December 5, 2022
- Winter Program: Annual Legislative Event & Reception – January 17-18, 2023, Richmond
- Virtual Session: How Will Your Story Change the World? – March 2023, date TBD
- 2nd Community Service Report Due – April 24, 2023
- Spring Leadership Finale – May 18-19, 2023, Richmond
*More details about these events will be available later this year. Specific programs are subject to change.
VBA Sponsored Events
Virginia Banking Fellows will also be invited to attend the following VBA events* from September 2022-May 2023 as a way to learn more about the industry and the career opportunities in banking.
Attendance at all of these events is completely optional! Fellows will hear from the VBA and/or their bank sponsor during the year with more information about the below opportunities and more information on how to register to attend.
Click on the events below to learn more! Specific event details will be added as they become available.
- VBA State Legislative Meetings – Fall 2022
- Abingdon – 9/27
- Roanoke – 9/27
- Harrisonburg – 9/28
- Virginia Beach – 10/11
- Danville – 10/19
- Tysons – 10/21
- VBA Leadership Conference – October 27-28, 2022 | Delta Hotels Richmond Downtown
- Women in Banking Conference – December 1, 2022 | Richmond & Virtual
- VBA Connect/Protect Experience – March 13-15, 2023 | Williamsburg
- Burgers with Bruce – Regional events in the spring of 2023 – more details to be announced soon!
- VBA Internship Program – June-August 2023
*Event details are subject to change.
ABA Course Information
As part of the Virginia Banking Fellows Program, Fellows will have the opportunity to take online training through the American Bankers Association (ABA). There are a variety of self-paced and facilitated course options for many different function areas of banking as well as general industry training as well.
Fellows will make a selection for a course to take in the spring 2023. More information will be sent to Fellows later this fall about registering for these courses.
Additional Resources: Read, Listen, Watch
be sure to follow the vba on social media!
- As a part of the Virginia Banking Fellows Program, you will receive the bi-weekly VBA Executive Brief, Virginia Banking Monthly, and Virginia Banking Annual.
- Check out the VBA Newsroom and In the News sections of our website to read about bankers making an impact across the Commonwealth.
- Consider signing up to receive the Virginia Business daily eNewsletter
- Virginia: Banks’ Economic Impact
- Business Etiquette Questions Answered
- The Email You Might Actually Read
- The Right Words - The Power of Keywords Goes Far Beyond Resumes in Driving Your Career Forward
- 10 Banking Podcasts to Try
- Podcast: A Look at the Virginia Economy
- Podcast: The Girl Banker on Career Advancement and Life Lessons
- Podcast: Breaking Banks
- Podcast: Banking Transformed
- Podcast: Marketing Money
- Find Your Career in Banking | American Bankers Association (six minute video)
- COVID-19: America’s Banks Respond | American Bankers Association (three minute video)
- The Pursuit of Happyness: the value of a first impression