VBA Internship Program
The VBA is committed to providing banks with the resources needed to build and develop strong teams of banking professionals. This past summer, eleven banks participated in the VBA Internship Program across the Commonwealth, hosting 33 students from different colleges and universities. Based on the feedback we received from the interns at the end of the summer, 100% said that the internship made them more interested in the banking industry.
Our program is a turnkey experience for banks that don’t currently have a formal internship program and it provides resources to add enrichment and further exposure to the programs many banks already have in place. We strive to support a meaningful experience not only for the college students who participate but also for the hosting banks. In addition to program templates and suggestions for engagement, the program includes both in-person and virtual training and networking opportunities for the interns. Students who participate in the program will be awarded a certificate of completion to add value to their experience and help build their resumes.
Program Features for Bank Mentors
- Internship Program Templates & Materials – participating in this program gives banks access to custom banking industry internship resources, including:
- Templates for Goal & Expectation Setting
- Syllabus & Learning Objectives Templates
- Evaluation Templates
- Virtual Mentor Orientation: April 12, 2023 - introduction and training for bank mentors, including:
- Program Overview
- Internships Basics Presentation
- Template & Material Review
Program Features for Interns
- Intern Orientation: May 31, 2023 - a one-day, in-person training and introduction to the summer program hosted by the VBA. Orientation includes:
- Industry Introduction
- Program Overview
- Careers in Banking Presentation from Members of the VBA Emerging Bank Leaders
- …and more!
- Mid-Summer Meet Up: July 11, 2023 – a one-day, in-person event hosted by the VBA. Event includes:
- Engagement with the VBA EBL Steering Committee members
- Capstone project research discussion
- Resume workshop, interview skills and HR best practices presentation
- …and more!
- Additional Learning, Networking & Social Opportunities
- Zoom sessions throughout the summer to connect with other interns and hear from industry speakers.
- This program will include collaboration with our Emerging Bank Leaders (EBL) group for networking and learning opportunities. The EBL connects Virginia bankers to engage them in the future of the banking industry.
- Opportunity to attend classes during the Virginia Bankers School of Bank Management
VBA’s Role Vs. Bank’s Role
|VBA’s Role||Bank’s Role|
VBA Certificate of Completion
Interns who complete program requirements will be eligible for the VBA Certificate of Completion. Requirements include:
- Complete an American Bankers Association (ABA) online training course OR equivalent online banking industry training (must be approved by the VBA)
- Participate in at least one of the in-person VBA events (Intern Orientation or the Mid-Summer Meet Up)
- Participate in at least three of the virtual VBA events (one-hour Zoom meetings held throughout the summer)
- Complete a capstone project and presentation
- Involvement in a community support or volunteer opportunity (banks will determine specifics of this based on opportunities throughout the summer)
- Complete the VBA Internship Program self-evaluation – an online survey will be sent to all interns directly from the VBA and survey responses will be shared with the host bank
2023 Program Pricing
$235 per intern*
Participating banks will receive a free internship job posting on the VBA Career Center upon program commitment.
*The per intern rate does not include the cost of online training, one of the VBA Certificate of Completion requirements. Cost of the online training is dependent on which ABA or equivalent online banking training course(s) banks select for their intern(s) to complete. More information on the online training course options will be available at the Mentor Orientation in April.
Interested Students – Learn More Here!
Any students who are interested in participating in the 2023 program are encouraged to visit the VBA Career Center, create a profile and upload their resume. Participating banks will start posting internship positions to the VBA Career Center in early 2023.