VBA Internship Program
The VBA is committed to providing banks with the resources needed to build and develop strong teams of banking professionals. This past summer, eight banks participated in the virtual VBA Internship Program across the Commonwealth, hosting 37 students from different colleges and universities. Based on the feedback we received from the interns at the end of the summer, 100% said that the internship made them more interested in the banking industry.
Our program is a turnkey experience for banks that don’t currently have a formal internship program and it provides resources to add enrichment and further exposure to the programs many banks already have in place. We strive to support a meaningful experience not only for the college students who participate, but also for the hosting banks. In addition to program templates and suggestions for engagement, the program includes virtual training and networking opportunities for the interns. Students who participate in the program will be awarded a certificate of completion to add value to their experience and help build their resumes.
Program Features for Bank Mentors
- Internship Program Templates & Materials – participating in this program gives banks access to custom banking industry internship resources to include:
- Templates for Goal & Expectation Setting
- Syllabus & Learning Objectives Templates
- Evaluation Templates
- Virtual Mentor Orientation – one-day introduction and training for bank mentors. Program includes:
- Program Overview
- Internships Basics Presentation
- Template & Material Review
Program Features for Interns
- Virtual Intern Orientation – a one-day training and introduction to the summer program hosted by the VBA. Program includes:
- Industry Introduction
- Program Overview
- Careers in Banking Presentation from Members of the VBA Emerging Bank Leaders
- Additional Learning, Networking & Social Opportunities
- Weekly Zoom meetings throughout the summer to connect with other interns and hear from industry speakers.
- This program will include collaboration with our Emerging Bank Leaders (EBL) group for networking and learning opportunities. The EBL connects Virginia bankers to engage them in the future of the banking industry.
- Opportunity to attend classes during the Virginia Bankers School of Bank Management
- Interns will have access to the Realworld Playbook, an online, interactive financial education platform that covers a variety of relevant topics including:
- Personal finance
- Health care
- Employer paperwork
- Student loans
- Signing a lease
- International students
VBA’s Role Vs. Bank’s Role
|VBA’s Role||Bank’s Role|
VBA Certificate of Completion
Interns who complete program requirements will be eligible for the VBA Certificate of Completion. Requirements include:
- Complete an American Bankers Association online training course
- Participate in at least four of the virtual VBA events (Intern Orientation and at least three of the eight weekly Zoom meetings OR at least four of the eight weekly Zoom meetings)
- Complete a capstone project and presentation
- Involvement in a community support or volunteer opportunity (banks will determine specifics of this based on opportunities throughout the summer)
- Complete the VBA Internship Program self-evaluation – an online survey will be sent to all interns directly from the VBA and survey responses will be shared with the host bank
$225 per intern
Participating banks will receive a free internship job posting on the VBA Career Center upon program commitment.
The $225 per intern rate does not include the cost of ABA online training, one of the VBA Certificate of Completion requirements. Cost of the ABA online training is dependent on which course(s) banks select for their intern(s) to complete. More information on the ABA online training course options will be available at the Mentor Orientation.
Interested Students – Learn More Here!
Any students who are interested in participating in the 2022 program are encouraged to visit the VBA Career Center, create a profile and upload their resume. Participating banks will start posting internship positions to the VBA Career Center in early 2022.