Careers in Banking Toolkit
Banker Resource Page
On this page, you’ll find resources to share with students and anyone interested in a career in banking.
Resources: Watch & Present
Careers in Banking Video Series
Presenters: Nathalia Artus, Atlantic Union Bank; Ryan Eisenberg, TowneBank; Jamie Johnson, Farmers Bank; Nicole Martin, Benchmark Community Bank; Amy Mellinger, Powell Valley National Bank; and Marcus Wade, Bank of Botetourt
In this series of videos, you will learn about different careers in banking and what personality traits, skills and courses support each of the job functions at a bank.
- Introduction & Careers in Banking Overview
- Branch Operations
- Human Resources, Marketing & Public Relations
- Information Systems
- Community Outreach
Careers in Banking Presentations
During this presentation, you’ll introduce students to the importance of developing a relationship with a bank and explain some of the services banks offer young people. Students will consider a variety of scenarios in which teens like themselves are in need of help. At the end, students will identify their own personal banking needs.
During this presentation, you will introduce students to the many careers in the banking sector, talking with them about six distinct career paths. Students will learn: why each job is important, challenges of the job, how careers within the banking industry call upon a variety of skills beyond just an affinity for finance, and will be able to relate these opportunities back to their own interests. At the end, students will have the opportunity to formulate interview questions.
During this presentation, you will introduce students to the variety of careers in banking, with the opportunity to share the presenter’s story of how they became a banker. This presentation includes customizable slides to information about the banker’s background, their experience in banking, and information about the bank as well as slides on the perks of being a banker.
community engagement panel
Panelists: Terry Parker, TowneBank; Dale Schuurman, JPMorgan Chase; and Sherry Williams, Chesapeake Bank
In this video, Terry, Dale and Sherry discuss the variety of ways banks across Virginia support the communities they serve. They discuss the industry’s role in financial education, diversity, equity and inclusion, and other partnerships with community organizations.
View their discussion here.
other video resources
- Find Your Future in Banking | American Bankers Association
Resources: Read & Share
- Virginia: Banks’ Economic Impact
- On this site, part of the American Bankers Association’s America’s Banks website, you’ll learn how Virginia’s banks are supporting our state’s economy with consumer, business and other loans, how bankers are safely serving their customers and communities, and how banks are providing more than 45,000 people with a rewarding place to work.
- Infographic: Career Opportunities at America’s Banks
- State Economic Impact Map – See the median compensation for bank employees in VA
- Check out the VBA Newsroom and In the News sections of our website to read about bankers making an impact across the Commonwealth.
Resources: Listen & Promote
- Podcast: Building a Career as a Community Banker | ABA Banking Journal
- Podcast: The Girl Banker on Career Advancement and Life Lessons | ABA Banking Journal
Resources: Training Opportunities
- VBA Bank Day Scholarship Program
- VBA Internship Program
- American Bankers Association (ABA) Training: