VBA Bank Day Scholarship Program
Sponsored by the VBA Education Foundation & the VBA Emerging Bank Leaders
What is Bank Day?
The third Tuesday in March was declared Bank Day in Virginia by the Virginia General Assembly in 1991. On this day, Virginia high school seniors learn about banking, financial services, career opportunities in the industry and the vital role banks play in their communities.
From their experience, the students are required to write an essay, and thirteen scholarships (six honorable mention, six regional, and one statewide) will be awarded on the basis of the essays.
2023 Program Details
The 2023 Bank Day Scholarship Program will be held in a hybrid format, with content provided from the VBA and in-person or virtual experiences provided by your bank! Students will have access to a VBA-created Bank Day resource page over a three week window from March 13-31, 2023. This resource page will house all relevant information that students will need to research and complete their essay for a chance to win college scholarships. The VBA will also provide recommendations for how to host your students on your Bank Day, no matter what format you choose.
Complete the Bank Interest Form Today!
After completion of this form, the VBA will send you information on how best to contact teachers and how to promote your participation in this program to the media beginning in January 2023. The VBA will keep you updated on Bank Day information and students’ registrations.
Join an Informational Zoom Meeting on December 15th at 9 a.m.
Learn more about plans for the 2023 program during an informational Zoom meeting on December 15th at 9 a.m. Registration for this meeting is required.
Student Participation Criteria
- Currently enrolled as a high school senior in a Virginia high school
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Resident of Virginia
- Teacher/guidance counselor contact information provided by student
Scholarship Amounts: $26,000 to be awarded in 2022!
$26,000 total will be awarded in 2022!
$1,000 Each for six honorable mention scholarships
$2,500 Each for six regional winners
$5,000 Statewide winner ($7,500 total since all candidates will also be regional winners)
Congratulations to the 2022 Winners!
Each of the six regional winners will receive a $2,500 college scholarship. These students were entered into the statewide contest for a chance to win an additional $5,000 scholarship as the overall winner. There were also six honorable mention winners who will each receive a $1,000 college scholarship.
Congratulations to the following students and bank hosts:
- Statewide & Capitol Region Winner: Ronit Jain, Maggie L. Walker Governor’s School, Hosted by Village Bank
- Capitol Honorable Mention Winner: Ashley Falat, Deep Run High School, Hosted by Village Bank
- Central/Southside Region Winner: Olivia Turner, Lord Botetourt High School, Hosted by Bank of Botetourt
- Central/Southside Honorable Mention Winner: Pranav Shah, Tunstall High School, Hosted by American National Bank & Trust Co.
- Eastern Virginia Region Winner: Natalie Parra, Kecoughtan High School, Hosted by Old Point National Bank
- Eastern Virginia Honorable Mention Winner: Mary Wells, Warwick High School, Hosted by Old Point National Bank
- Northern Virginia Region Winner: Kara Trullender, Woodbridge Senior High School, Hosted by Burke & Herbert Bank
- Northern Virginia Honorable Mention Winner: Daniel Ocansey, W.T. Woodson High School, Hosted by Burke & Herbert Bank
- Southwest Virginia Region Winner: Joe Tyson, Graham High School, Hosted by New Peoples Bank
- Southwest Virginia Honorable Mention Winner: Abigail Street, Patrick Henry High School, Hosted by First Bank & Trust Co.
- Valley Region Winner: Daniel Halterman, Mountain View High School, Hosted by F&M Bank
- Valley Honorable Mention Winner: Elijah Trumbo, Buffalo Gap High School, Hosted by F&M Bank