2021 Intern Resources
VBA Internship Program
You will find all 2021 VBA Internship Program materials and resources on this page for use throughout the summer. Please contact Monica McDearmon at 804-363-9347 with questions.
Virtual Intern Orientation – 6/2/2021
- Complete your intern profile Q&A here!
- Sam Mayman, email@example.com
- Access a recording of the Intern Orientation here.
- Introductions – through minute 27
- Introduction to the VBA – minutes 27-34
- Careers in Banking – EBL Presentation – minutes 34-1:16
- YRichmond Presentation – minutes 1:17-1:43
- VBA Internship Program Components – minutes 1:43-2:05
View a welcome message from VBA President & CEO Bruce Whitehurst below.
Bruce’s contact information:
Office: 804-819-4701 | Mobile: 804-241-3223
VBA Certificate of Completion Requirements Overview
Interns participating in the VBA Internship Program will be eligible to receive the Certificate of Completion if they meet the following requirements. Mentors will send all necessary documentation to the VBA no later than August 31st.
- Complete an American Bankers Association (ABA) online training course OR equivalent online banking industry training (must be approved by the VBA). See below for more information on the ABA course options.
- Complete a capstone project and presentation.
- Participate in at least four of the virtual VBA events (Intern Orientation and at least three of the weekly Zoom meetings OR at least four of the weekly Zoom meetings).
- Involvement in a community support or volunteer opportunity (banks will determine specifics of this based on opportunities throughout the summer).
- Complete the VBA Internship Program self-evaluation.
ABA Online Course Information
Interns are required to complete an American Bankers Association (ABA) online course OR equivalent online banking industry training (must be approved by the VBA) to earn the VBA Certificate of Completion.
ABA Login information
For interns completing an ABA online course, the VBA will send login information to the interns after their start date with the bank.
Your login credentials are below. Upon logging in the first time, you will see a message stating that your password has expired and you will be required to select a new password of your choosing. If you ever forget your password, you can use the “Forgot Password” link on the login page. Notice that your username is your bank email address followed by “.vaba”. See below for an example:
Login Page: https://aba.csod.com
Sample Username: firstname.lastname@example.org
Temporary Password: Password1
Once You have logged in and changed your password, you will be taken to your welcome page. To view your transcript and access your assigned training, select “Learning” from the menu and click “View Your Transcript.” Your transcript contains your assigned training. Click on the action button (open curriculum, launch, etc.) to the right of the course title to access the training.
Capstone Project & Presentation
Throughout the summer, interns will complete a capstone project and presentation on a banking industry topic. This project will be due by a date agreed upon by the bank and intern, no later than August 6, 2021. Interns can either research one of the topic options listed below or a topic selected by the bank. Mentors will complete the capstone project and presentation rubrics at the conclusion of the project.
capstone project topic resources
Option 1: Fintech: Disruptor or Partner?
- Podcast: The Fintech Policy Lightning Round
- Podcast: What’s next for bank-fintech collaborations
- Podcast: A cooperative model for fintech innovation
- Article: Banks Get Smart on Fintech
- Article: How Digital Experience Platforms are Transforming Financial Institutions
- Article: What’s AI-Right and AI-Wrong?
- Retail and Operations & Technology Tracks of Pathways to Connect & Protect (see “Additional Learning Opportunities” dropdown below)
Option 2: Ideal Location for a New Bank Branch
- Survey: Pandemic Drove Increase in Mobile Banking, Decline in Branch Traffic
- Article: Powering the Hybrid Bank Workplace
Option 3: Banks and Social Media: How to Use these Platforms to Engage, Retain and Attract Customers
- Marketing Track of Pathways to Connect & Protect (see “Additional Learning Opportunities” dropdown below)
Option 4: Attracting the Next Generation as Customers and Employees
- Infographic: Career opportunities at America’s banks
- Article: How Gen Z is changing financial services
- Podcast: Building a Career as a Community Banker
- Article: A millennial board makeover
- Article: Brands could lose fickle Gen Zers over poor digital experiences
- Survey: Younger Customers More Likely to Switch Banks for Better Digital Features
- Article: A Data-Driven Approach to Identifying — and Retaining — Top Employees
- Training & HR Tracks of Pathways to Connect & Protect (see “Additional Learning Opportunities” dropdown below)
Option 5: Banks: The Cornerstone of the Community
- Podcast: Giving Thanks for Banks’ Community Commitment
- Podcast: Celebrating Bankers’ Community Commitment
- Website: Virginia Banks’ Economic Impact
- State Economic Impact Map
- On this site, part of the American Bankers Association’s America’s Banks website, you’ll learn how Virginia’s banks are supporting our state’s economy with consumer, business and other loans, how bankers are safely serving their customers and communities, and how banks are providing more than 45,000 people with a rewarding place to work.
- Video: VBA Emerging Bank Leaders Community Engagement Panel
- Article: We Were Economic First Responders
- Article: Pandemic is Bringing Out the Best in Bankers
- Podcast Series: We Were Economic First Responders | ABA Banking Journal
Hear banker stories behind the Paycheck Protection Program in a three-part podcast series
Option 6: The Bank of the Future
- FDIC Podcast: Banking on Innovation
- FDIC Podcast: Reimagining America’s Banking System
- Podcast: Community Banks in the Digital Age
- Article: Improving Digital Journeys So Customers Stay Connected to Your Bank
- Article: Ensuring the Security of the Digital Banking Experience
- Retail and Operations & Technology Tracks of Pathways to Connect & Protect (see “Additional Learning Opportunities” dropdown below)
- Podcast: A customer advocate inside the bank
- Article: Beyond the Bots: Supporting Your Front-line Teams with Interactive Communications
Option 7: Serving the Underbanked and Unbanked
- Learn More About Bank On
- FDIC Podcast: Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Podcast: A $4 Billion Bank’s Nationwide Affordable Housing Strategy
- Survey: 2017 FDIC National Survey of Unbanked and Underbanked Households – Executive Summary
- Article: CFSI: Designing High-Quality, Small-Dollar Credit: Insights from CFSI’s Test & Learn Working Group
- PCBB Article: Helping The Underbanked And Unbanked
- PCBB Article: Serving The Underbanked And Unbanked
- Article: A Hand Up with a Down Payment
Option 8: Cryptocurrency/Digital Currency: Disruptor or Partner?
- Article: The Digital Dollar Draws Nearer
- Article: Cryptocurrency Investment Scams 12x Over Previous Year
- Press Release: Federal Reserve Chair Jerome H. Powell Outlines the Federal Reserve’s Response to Technological Advances Driving Rapid Change in the Global Payments Landscape
Weekly Zoom Meetings
The VBA will hold weekly Zoom meetings for all interns participating in the program. We hope this provides a platform for you to get to know one another, learn about the industry, and hear from banking professionals from across the Commonwealth.
These meetings will occur every Thursday at 10:00 a.m. starting June 10th and ending July 29th. See below for Zoom meeting information – also included in the calendar invite.
Meeting schedule & Guest speaker information
All meetings will be held on Thursdays from 10-11 a.m.
|Guest Speaker & Topic||Meeting Materials/Recording Link|
|6/10||Business Etiquette & Other HR Best Practices
Suzie Allen, VBA, and Amy Mellinger, Powell Valley National Bank
Katie West (see below for more information)
|6/24||Q&A with Realworld Founder & CEO
Genevieve Ryan Bellaire
EBL Guests: Terry Parker, TowneBank, and Brody Rotzoll, The Bank of Southside Virginia
|7/1||VBA Emerging Bank Leaders Panel Discussion
Panelists: Melissa Crawford, Chesapeake Bank; Scott Griffin, Skyline National Bank; and Dorothy Welch, Blue Ridge Bank
|7/8||Capstone Project Rotation Discussions with VBA Emerging Bank Leaders|
|7/15||Presentation from the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond
JM Nemish & Brian Thompson, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond
EBL Guests: Jamie Johnson and Kari VanWassen, Farmers Bank
Caitlin Croswell, American Bankers Association
Interview Skills & Resume Tips
Suzie Allen, VBA & Justin Kimlel, Essex Bank
|7/29||Capstone Project Discussions & Mini-Presentations
Guests: EBL Members & VBA Staff
Enneagram Workshop with Katie West | June 17th, 10am – Noon
*This session will run from 10 a.m. – noon and is designed for both the interns and their mentors.
During this session, interns and mentors will become familiar with the Enneagram to identify with one of the nine personality types so they can be aware of their own personality and use it in the best way possible while understanding general characteristics of other’s personality types. During the session, we will discuss:
- Emotional Intelligence – position it as a core leadership competency to continually develop (good for professional and personal life) and the Enneagram as the tool to assist with that
- Take away an understanding of the Enneagram personality typing system and how it operates as a fluid and dynamic system
- Know ways to develop more effective connections with others based on their Enneagram type
- Become familiar with the general characteristics of the 9 types
- Become familiar with how each of the 9 types responds to stress and security
- Assignment for post workshop learning experience
Enneagram Test Information
Before the session, mentors and interns may want to take a test to determine their Enneagram type. Below are two test options:
- The RHETI from the Enneagram Institute. This test is one of the oldest in the market place have been available for over 20 years. Katie recommends this test because it comes with a comprehensive report and the website is robust and full of good information too. The test is $12. www.enneagraminstitute.com
- EnneaApp. The EnneaApp has good information about the 9 types and makes for a nice, quick reference. Simply search “EnneaApp” in the App Store on your phone to download the free app.
Weekly zoom meeting information
Use this information for all of the weekly meetings beginning June 10th! This information can also be found in the calendar invite and will be email to the interns each week.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 846 4917 3274
One tap mobile
+16465588656,,84649173274# US (New York)
+13017158592,,84649173274# US (Washington DC)
Additional Learning Opportunities
Pathways to VBA Connect & Protect
As an additional educational opportunity, interns have access to the monthly virtual sessions of Pathways to VBA Connect & Protect. The monthly Pathways sessions are by function area. Interns will register for each session they’d like to attend beginning in June. Interns also have access to the recordings and materials from all sessions, including the May sessions.
Learn more, view recordings and register for upcoming sessions here.
|Function Area||Dates/Topics (All sessions will be held from 2:00-3:00 p.m. via Zoom; )|
|Enterprise Risk Management||
|Operations & Technology||
Virginia Bankers school of bank management
The 2021 session of the Virginia Bankers School of Bank Management (Bank School) will be held in Charlottesville the week of August 2-6. On Tuesday, August 3, interns will have the opportunity to visit and shadow the first year classes. More information on this opportunity will be available soon!
Download the free Realworld app and join the community of 20-somethings on the journey to independence.
The Realworld app is your adulting sidekick – this personalized platform offers step-by-step playbooks to help you navigate everyday decisions (getting a credit card, finding a doctor), big life moments (moving to a new home, finding a new job) and everything in between! Set up your own to-do list, conquer the fundamentals, and stay on track with Realworld reminders.
- Fox News Sunday Interview with Realworld Founder Genevieve Ryan
- June 2021 Wall Street Journal Article - Hey, 2021 Grads, These Apps Can Prepare You for Adulting
Realworld Login Instructions
Additional Resources: Read, Listen, Watch
Be sure to follow the vba on social media!
- As a part of the VBA Internship Program, you will receive the bi-weekly VBA Executive Brief, Virginia Banking Monthly, and Virginia Banking Annual.
- Check out the VBA Newsroom and In the News sections of our website to read about bankers making an impact across the Commonwealth.
- Consider signing up to receive the Virginia Business daily eNewsletter
- Consider signing up to receive American Bankers Association daily Newsbytes
- Business Etiquette Questions Answered
- The Email You Might Actually Read
- 10 Banking Podcasts to Try
- Podcast: A Look at the Virginia Economy
- Podcast: The Girl Banker on Career Advancement and Life Lessons
- Podcast Series: ABA Pandemic Update
- Podcast: Breaking Banks
- Podcast: Banking Transformed
- Podcast: Marketing Money
- Find Your Career in Banking | American Bankers Association (six minute video)
- COVID-19: America’s Banks Respond | American Bankers Association (three minute video)
- The Pursuit of Happyness: the value of a first impression