Financial Literacy Month Resources
Throughout the month of April, organizations across the country conduct a variety of events and carry out initiatives designed to improve financial literacy, especially among our nation’s youth, and to promote financial well-being for all consumers.
We are proud that the banking industry is leading the charge in financial literacy across Virginia! In the 2022 Council for Economic Education Survey of the States, Virginia was recognized as one of 25 states that require students to take a course in economics to graduate and one of 23 states that require students to take a course in personal finance to graduate. You can read the full report here.
Below are a variety of resources that you can explore and share with your customers and communities. We will continue to update this page throughout the month of April so if you find a great resource, please email Monica McDearmon to share it with the group!
Teach Children to Save and Other American Bankers Association Resources
Teach Children to Save (TCTS) Information:
TCTS Day will be celebrated on April 28th! The American Bankers Association established TCTS to spotlight the importance of teaching our nation’s youth about saving money. This event occurs every April when bankers make presentations to students in grades K-12 about budgeting, saving, recognizing needs and wants, and how interest makes money grow. Virginia banks have been participating in Teach Children to Save Day since it began. Registration for the program is FREE to all bankers.
- Register participation in the ABA Foundation’s financial education programs to access FREE resources.
- The Foundation’s financial programs can be done at any time during the calendar year – it doesn’t have to be April.
- Don’t worry about registration numbers – take your best guess!
Resources Available Now:
- ABA Consumer Resources – Youth & Money
- Ways to Talk to Your Kids About Money
- Money Talks Newsletter
- Needs Vs. Wants Coloring Sheet
- Bankers and You Bingo
- Spot the Banking Difference Activity Sheet
- Each of the ABA Foundation’s financial education program’s
private resource page, available to bankers who have registered
participation, has a Social Media Toolkit. This is an easy, one
click resource for bankers to promote Teach Children to Save
(TCTS) through their own social media channels.
- Financial Literacy Month social media toolkit has been updated. Access the toolkit here. Use #financialliteracymonth and #vabankers in social media posts so VBA and ABA can help amplify your efforts.
- The TCTS toolkit has been updated to include virtual lessons. Access the toolkit here. Use #TeachChildrenToSave and #vabankers in social media posts so VBA and ABA can help amplify your efforts.
Learn More About VBA Financial Education Endorsed Provider Banzai!
The VBA has partnered with Banzai, a carefully designed web-based financial literacy program for all ages and groups, including K—12 schools, community programs, employee onboarding, and even families. A partnership with Banzai provides an opportunity for Virginia banks to enhance your existing financial education initiatives and deliver the latest technology to local schools through a private-labeled program that teaches, assesses and certifies students in a variety of personal finance topics.
You can view a sampling of the Banzai Direct platform here where you can browse their course offerings, calculators, and available coaches.
Browse their interactive library here, which includes articles on insurance, retirement, taxes and more!
Financial Literacy Themed Book Suggestions
Financial Literacy Book Suggestions
- Virginia Council on Economic Education – Remote Learning Lessons
- The Richmond Fed’s Economic Education Resources
- The Federal Reserve Bank Economic Education Resources
- Econ Lowdown: Free K–12 and College Resources
- An Economic Education Webinar for Teachers – Register By April 21
- Ella’s Adventures Online Courses for Grades 2-4
- US Mint – H.I.P. Pocket Change Kids Site
- Practical Money Skills
- Better Money Habits, in Partnership with Khan Academy
- Financial Literacy Student Booklet - PreK-1
- Money Matching Game - Prek-1
- FEMA – Be Prepared for a Financial Emergency
Press & Social Media Resources
Customizable Press Release - April is Financial Literacy Month
Social Media Images for Download:
- Happy Financial Literacy Month - General
- Financial Literacy Tips Series (coordinated with press
- Financial Literacy Tips Series - Intro
- Financial Literacy Tips Series - Tip 1
- Financial Literacy Tips Series - Tip 2
- Financial Literacy Tips Series - Tip 3
- Financial Literacy Tips Series - Tip 4
- Financial Literacy Tips Series - Tip 5
- Financial Literacy Tips Series - Tip 6
- Financial Literacy Tips Series - Tip 7