Safe Banking for Seniors
Virginia Bankers Association has joined the American Bankers Association Foundation in a new campaign – Safe Banking for Seniors – which provides America’s seniors and their caregivers tools to prevent financial fraud. Safe Banking for Seniors will mobilize bankers across Virginia to educate older Americans and their caregivers about elder financial abuse.
Bankers play a critical role in the prevention of elder financial fraud from spotting signs of abuse to raising awareness.
Registered banks receive access to free downloadable planning materials, step-by-step lesson plans, activity sheets, customizable media tools and will be featured in the list of participating banks. The campaign modules focus on the following topics:
- How to Identify and Avoid Scams
- How to Protect Yourself from Identity Theft
- How to Choose a Financial Caregiver
- How to Act as a Responsible Financial Caregiver
- Understanding Powers of Attorney and Choosing Executors
- Tools to Help Families Serve as Financial Caregivers for Those with Cognitive Impairment
Match with Local Community Groups through FinEdLink
FinEdLink is a tool that helps connect senior-focused community groups with bankers in their area for presentations. The goal of this program component is to streamline the process of matching banks to educational programming opportunities for key customers. You can elect to participate in this optional program during the SBFS registration process.