2023 VBA/ABA Washington Summit Recap
March 20-22, 2023
Last month, more than 1,700 bankers from across the country attended the in-person and virtual VBA/ABA Washington Summit, with nearly 50 in-person attendees from Virginia. Summit attendees heard from public officials and issue experts on the status of the nation’s economy and banking system post-recent bank failures. Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen reassured attendees of the strength and resilience of the banking industry, a sentiment echoed by legislative leaders throughout the event.
Virginia bankers met with Senators Mark Warner and Tim Kaine as well as House of Representative staff members to discuss issues including bank fees, credit unions, credit card interchange and the SAFE Banking Act.
A special thank you to FHLBank Atlanta for hosting our joint reception with the Maryland Bankers Association.
You can view session recordings from the 2023 Summit here.
Save the date for the 2024 VBA/ABA Washington Summit on March 17-20 in Washington, D.C.
Program Sessions & Speakers
Sessions and topics at this year’s Summit included:
- The View from Main Street: ABA Leaders on the State of America’s Banks
- The Supreme Court and Regulatory Power
- Focus on Financial Inclusion: The Growth of Bank On Accounts
- State of the Economy and the Financial System
- Remarks from:
- U.S. Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen
- Chairman of the National Republican Senatorial Committee Senator Steve Daines (R-MT)
- Chairman of the Senate Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs Committee Senator Sherrod Brown (D-OH)
- Ranking Member of the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs Senator Tim Scott (R-SC)
- Ranking Member of the House Financial Services Committee Representative Maxine Waters (D-CA)
- Chairman of the House Financial Services Committee Representative Patrick McHenry (R-NC)
The 2023 Washington Summit also featured the Mutual Community Bank Forum, the Emerging Leaders Forum and the Women and Allies Networking Lunch. Learn more about this year’s EBL Summit Scholarship recipients here.
Stay Engaged in Advocacy
Sign Up for Our Legislative Bulletin
This bulletin is a biweekly communication during the General Assembly Session, sent to members to keep them updated on pending legislation that would impact banking. Special Legislative Bulletins are also distributed throughout the year to keep members up-to-date on other government relations and advocacy events and initiatives. Click here to sign up for this as well as other VBA eNewsletters and publications.
Be on the Look-Out for Call-to-Action Alerts
Sign up for VBA call-to-action alerts here.