2021 Virtual Bank Day Scholarship Program
Virtual Bank Host Resources
Thank you for completing the 2021 VBA Bank Day Scholarship Program bank interest form. We are excited to celebrate 30 years of Bank Day in 2021! On this page, you’ll find everything you need to know about the 2021 virtual program. Can’t find what you’re looking for? Feel free to contact Monica McDearmon with questions.
Virtual Bank Day Student Resource Site Information
Due to the pandemic, the 2021 Bank Day Scholarship Program will be completely virtual and centralized with content provided from the VBA. In order to provide a consistent experience for all students, there will no be “live” or in-person components to the 2021 program.
Students will have access to a VBA-created Bank Day resource page that will house all relevant information that students will need to research in order to complete their essays for a chance to win college scholarships. Access to this resource page will be available to students over a three week window from March 15th – April 2nd.
Resources will cover a variety of banking industry topics, career opportunities in banking and ways banks support their communities.
- Scholarship amount information, program timeline and essay information
- Recognition of Bank Day Virtual Hosts
- Resources: Watch
- A library of videos created by bankers from across the Commonwealth and the VBA staff – focusing on content that is typically covered at an in-person Bank Day
- Resources: Read
- Articles written by bankers, VBA staff, VBA Associate Members and industry experts
- Resources: Listen
- Podcasts and interviews from industry experts including ABA Banking Journal and the Federal Reserve
- Understanding student loan information provided by VBA Associate Member College Ave.
You will be able to access the Bank Day Student Resource site here beginning in March 2021.
Role of the Virtual Host Banks vs. the VBA
Virtual hosts will…
- Solicit student registrations through connections at local schools.
- Send email reminders to registered students about program resource window using templates provided from the VBA.
- Send email reminders to students about essay deadlines using templates provided from the VBA.
- (Optional) Provide supplemental resources to your specific list of registered students. See below for list of ideas for supplemental resources.
The VBA will…
- Provide resources, templates and support to virtual hosts.
- Collect student registrations and communicate registration lists/student contact information to host banks.
- Communicate with all registered students in the weeks leading up to the program about access to resources.
- Create content for and provide access to student resource webpage.
- Collect essays from students, coordinate judging and award scholarships.
Student Participation Criteria
Please remember that you will be contacting schools yourself in order to find students who are interested in participating in Bank Day. Below are some participation criteria reminders:
- Student(s) must currently be enrolled as a high school senior.
- Student(s) must hold a 3.0 or higher GPA.
- Student(s) must be a resident of Virginia.
- Student(s) must attend a high school in the state of Virginia.
- Homeschool students are eligible to participate, assuming he or she is equivalent to a high school senior and meets the above criteria.
- A child of a bank employee is allowed to participate, assuming he or she meets the above criteria.
- You may “virtually host” as many students as are interested.
- Virtual hosts resources will be available from the VBA
- Student registration opens
- Virtual hosts begin to solicit student registrations
- Student registrations continue
- Virtual hosts send reminders to schools about the program
- Virtual hosts work on plans for any supplemental resources they will provide
- March 5 – student registration closes
- Week of March 8th – students will receive specific program details from the VBA
- March 15 – Bank Day resource window opens and students will receive resource webpage link from the VBA
- Beginning March 15 – Virtual hosts can send supplemental resources to registered students
- April 2 – Bank Day resource window closes; student essays due to VBA by 5:00 p.m.
- By the end of April: Honorable Mention/Regional winners will be announced
- By May 7: Statewide Runner-up and Statewide winners announced
Essay & Scholarship Information
In 2021, $29,000 in college scholarships will be awarded by the Virginia Bankers Association Education Foundation to twelve students across the Commonwealth.
- Six honorable mention winners, each winning a $1,000 scholarship.
- Six regional winners, each winning a $2,500 scholarship.
- One of the regional winners will be named the statewide runner-up winner, earning an extra $3,000 scholarship for a total of $5,500 in college scholarships!
- One of the regional winners will also be named the statewide winner, earning an extra $5,000 scholarship for a total of $7,500 in college scholarships!
Bank Day School & Student Outreach Resources
- Email templates for school outreach
- One page promotional flyer to send to schools
- Essay information:
Ideas for Supplemental Resources for Virtual Hosts
Please note that sending supplemental information with students is optional! The information provided from the VBA through the student resource site will be sufficient to write a comprehensive essay to be eligible for scholarships.
Supplemental information should focus on ways your bank supports and engages with the community you serve. Examples include:
- Providing a contact at the bank that is available to answer questions during the Bank Day window while students are doing research to answer any questions they may have.
- Hosting a virtual meetup for students during the Bank Day
window where they can meet with bankers virtually, hear about
ways your support your community, meet the other students and ask
- This is also a great way to get your bank’s senior leadership involved!
- Providing pre-recorded messages from senior leadership.
- Media mentions, articles, and/or press releases showing ways your bank has supported the local community.
- Pictures and/or videos of bankers at community events.
- Links to your bank’s social media channels where community support and involvement is highlighted.
Bank Day Press Kit
A customizable press release and media alert will be available soon!