2021 Chesapeake Bank Book Club
Slay Like a Mother
Use this portal to guide your group check-in meetings.
For Your July Meeting, Read Part 1 and Part 2 through Chapter 5 (pages 1 – 104). Use the Questions Listed Below and the Exercise Guide Linked Below for Your Group Discussion.
PART 1 – LET’S SLAY TOGETHER
- Chapter 1 – Fighting and Winning My Own Battle
Chapter 2 – Meet your Dragon
- What could have knowingly or unknowingly could have stripped you of your self-confidence and/or self-esteem? P. 33
- EXERCISE: How to Spot a Dragon Checklist – p. 35. Applies to all even though this is in context of motherhood. Please complete. How many indicators did you select and which ones cause the most suffering in your life?
- If you’re living with a dragon of self-doubt, are you able to identify when/how it was initially born? How old were you?
Chapter 3 – The Fine Line between Struggling and
- What is the difference between struggling and suffering? P. 44. Do these two forces currently show up in your life, if so, how?
- What can you do to stop struggling from turning to suffering? P. 51-52
- EXERCISE: Look at factors that are hard in your
life and identify how you might be making them harder than
they have to be (crossing line from struggling to suffering).
- Step 1: What’s hard in your life right now?
- Step 2: How are you making those challenges harder than they have to be?
- Step 3: How can you make these situations easier?
- The answers to these steps should contain clues….is there a theme behind your suffering?
PART 2 – SEVEN WAYS YOU’RE FEEDING YOUR DRAGON AND HOW TO STOP
Chapter 4 – You Set Superhero Expectations in a Mortal’s World
- EXERCISE: What are your expectations for yourself? Are they realistic? P 75
- What obstacles are you experiencing right now in your life – home, work, marriage, friends, kids, passions?
- What are realistic expectations for yourself? How can you change unrealistic to those that will provide relief instead of suffering? P. 81
Chapter 5 – You Quietly Yell at Yourself – All Day,
- How do you talk to yourself? Exercise 1 and Exercise 2 (p. 96-98)
- For your August meeting, Read Part 2, Chapter 6 through Chapter 10 (pages 105 – 212)
- Discussion Questions Coming Soon
September Meeting (Optional)
If you would like to meet one more time as a group before the closing session, please feel free to host a group Zoom meeting. For this gathering, you will want to have read Part 3, Chapter 11 and 12 (pages 213 – 256)
September Closing Session
The closing session will be live and in person with Slay Like a Mother author, Katherine Wintsch on September 23rd. Please make sure you have made it through Part 3, Chapters 13 and 14, Epilogue before the 23rd.