VBA Internship Program
You will find all 2020 VBA Internship Program materials and resources on this page for use throughout the summer. Please contact Monica McDearmon at 804-363-9347 with questions.
Virtual Intern Orientation – 6/18/2020
- ChamberRVA Presentation
- Access a recording of the Intern Orientation here.
VBA Certificate of Completion Requirements Overview
Interns participating in the VBA Internship Program will be eligible to receive the Certificate of Completion if they meet the following requirements. Mentors will send all necessary documentation to the VBA no later than August 31st.
- Complete an ABA online training course (see below)
- Participate in at least two of the virtual VBA events (Intern Orientation and at least one of the weekly Zoom meetings OR at least two of the weekly Zoom meetings)
- Complete five out of nine Realworld modules (see below)
- Involvement in a community support or volunteer opportunity (banks will determine specifics of this based on opportunities throughout the summer)
- Complete the VBA Internship Program self-evaluation – click here to complete the online self-evaluation. Survey responses will be shared with the host bank.
ABA Course Information
Interns are required to complete an ABA online course to earn the VBA Certificate of Completion. The VBA will send login information to the interns after their start date with the bank.
Banking Fundamentals – The banking industry
Your login credentials are below. Upon logging in the first time, you will see a message stating that your password has expired and you will be required to select a new password of your choosing. If you ever forget your password, you can use the “Forgot Password” link on the login page. Notice that your username is your bank email address followed by “.vaba”. See below for an example:
Login Page: https://aba.csod.com
Sample Username: email@example.com
Temporary Password: Password1
Once You have logged in and changed your password, you will be taken to your welcome page. To view your transcript and access your assigned training, select “View Your Transcript” from the frequently used items on the left-hand navigation. Your transcript contains your assigned training. Click on the action button (open curriculum, launch, etc.) to the right of the course title to access the training.
Interns are required to complete five out of the nine Realworld modules to earn the VBA Certificate of Completion.
Realworld login instructions
- Visit https://ready.realworldplaybook.com/p/real-world-ready-bundle (please note that the Realworld platform is not supported by Internet Explorer)
- Click “Enroll Now”
- Where it says “Add Coupon”, insert VBA20
- Register for the program and enjoy access through August 15!
Weekly Zoom Calls
The VBA will hold weekly Zoom meetings for all interns participating in the program. We hope this provides a platform for you to get to know one another, learn about the industry, and hear from banking professionals from across the Commonwealth.
These meetings will occur every Thursday at 11:00 a.m. starting June 25th and ending August 6th. There will not be a meeting on Thursday July 30th due to Bank School scheduling (there will be six meetings).
Meeting schedule & Guest speaker information
- Thursday, June 25th – Business Etiquette & Other HR Best
Suzie Allen, VBA, and Jakeeta Plumley, Essex Bank
Link to Google Doc – Scenarios
Link to recording of discussion
- Thursday, July 9th – Presentation from the Federal Reserve
Bank of Richmond
J.M. Nemish and Brian Thompson, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond
Link to recording of discussion
- Tuesday, July 14th - VBA Emerging Bank Leaders Virtual Career Fair (rescheduled)
- Thursday, July 16th – Interview with Genevieve Bellaire, Realworld Founder & CEO
- Friday, July 24th - Recruiting, Interview Skills,
Onboarding & Resume Tips
Suzie Allen, VBA, and Justin Kimlel, Essex Bank
Recording of the presentation
- Thursday, August 6th – Capstone Project Discussions & Presentations
Additional Learning Opportunities
Capstone Project and/or presentation
As an optional assignment, banks may have interns complete a capstone project and/or presentation. This project will be completed by the intern throughout the summer and due by a date agreed upon by the bank and intern. Below are sample guidelines and topic options. Your mentor will discuss this project with you in more detail in the coming weeks. For those interns who do complete a capstone project and/or presentation, we’ll plan to discuss and share findings during our last weekly Zoom meeting on August 6th.
Virginia Bankers school of bank management
Due to the pandemic, the 2020 session of the Virginia Bankers School of Bank Management (Bank School) will be completely virtual the week of July 27-31. During the week, interns will have access to the virtual morning general sessions and also the opportunity to pick one virtual class to attend throughout the week.
Interns are asked to notify the VBA of their plans by Friday, July 17th by completing the form below.
Resources: Read, Listen, Watch
Be sure to follow the vba on social media!
- Check out the VBA Newsroom and In the News sections of our website to read about bankers making an impact across the Commonwealth.
- Consider signing up to receive the Virginia Business daily eNewsletter
- Consider signing up to receive American Bankers Association daily Newsbytes
- Banks’ Economic Impact in VA
- A Message from Laurie Stewart & Rob Nichols: Call for Change | American Bankers Association
- We Were Economic First Responders
- Lessons in Loss: Ag Lenders on Surviving Tough Times
- A millennial board makeover
- How Gen Z is changing financial services
- Business Etiquette Questions Answered
- Infographic: Career opportunities at America’s banks
- The Email You Might Actually Read
- Pandemic is Bringing Out the Best in Bankers | American Banker
- Podcast: We were Economic First Responders: All Hands on Deck
- Podcast: We were Economic First Responders: Culture Shock
- Podcast: We were Economic First Responders: Their Finest Hour
- Podcast: Building a Career as a Community Banker
- Podcast: Giving Thanks for Banks’ Community Commitment
- Podcast: “Banks Need to Be Part of the Solution:” New OCC Head on Protests, COVID Crisis
- Podcast: A cooperative model for fintech innovation.
- Podcast: A $4 Billion Bank’s Nationwide Affordable Housing Strategy
- Podcast: A customer advocate inside the bank
- Podcast: What’s next for bank-fintech collaborations
- Find Your Career in Banking | American Bankers Association (six minute video)
- COVID-19: America’s Banks Respond | American Bankers Association (three minute video)
- The Pursuit of Happyness: the value of a first impression