VBA Elects New Officers
Congratulations to the 2021-2022 Chairman and Chairman-Elect
The VBA is honored to have the following individuals serve as officers of its board of directors:
- Chairman: Leton L. Harding, Jr., Chairman, President & CEO, Powell Valley National Bank, Jonesville
- Chairman-Elect: Christopher W. Bergstrom, President & CEO, John Marshall Bank, Reston
- Immediate Past Chairman: John C. Asbury, President & CEO, Atlantic Union Bankshares Corp., Richmond
Additionally, the following bankers were elected to the VBA Board of Directors:
- Richard M. Adams, Jr., President | United Bankshares, Inc., Washington, DC
- David P. Boyle, President & CEO | Burke & Herbert Bank, Alexandria
- John J. Brough, CEO | Chain Bridge Bank, NA, McLean
- Thomas F. Cherry, President & CEO | C&F Bank, Toano
- Steven A. DeLuca, VP, Head of State & Local Government Affairs | Capital One, Richmond
- Aubrey H. Hall, III, President & CEO | First National Bank, Altavista
- Scott C. Harvard, CEO & Director | First Bank, Virginia, Winchester
- Richard J. Holland, Jr., Chairman | Famers Bank, Windsor
- Brandon C. Lorey, President & CEO | Bank of Clarke County, Berryville
- Daniel J. O’Neill, Jr., Regional President, Virginia East | Truist Bank, Richmond
- Brad E. Schwartz, SEVP & Chief Operating Officer | TowneBank, Suffolk
- Linda L. Stanley, Charlottesville President; SVP & Market Executive, Greater VA | Bank of America, Charlottesville
- Robert F. Shuford, Jr., Chairman, President & CEO | Old Point Financial Corporation, Hampton
- Maria P. Tedesco, President | Atlantic Union Bank, Richmond
- Joseph J. Thomas, President & CEO | Freedom Bank of Virginia, Fairfax
- Janet N. Tope, Greater Virginia Region Bank President/Senior Vice President | Wells Fargo, Richmond
- Litz H. Van Dyke, Chief Executive Officer | Carter Bank & Trust, Martinsville
Chairman Leton Harding
Leton Harding is chairman, president and CEO of Powell Valley National Bank, which was established in 1888. He joined the bank in March of 2012. Before joining Powell Valley National Bank, he worked from 1993-2012 as EVP for First Bank & Trust Company, where he oversaw daily operations and investment services.
Previously, he worked for the VBA from 1986-1993, serving bank members in roles such as vice president, executive director of the Community Bank Council, and manager of grassroots legislative programs, VBA Benefits Corporation and the Young Bankers Section.
He is a board member at the University of Virginia’s College at Wise and Mountain Empire Community College Foundation, and is also the past president and co-founder of the Birthplace of Country Music Alliance.
Leton is a graduate of the University of Virginia’s College at Wise, and resides in Wise, Virginia with his wife Tammie Jo, where they are members of Wise Baptist Church.
Chairman-Elect Chris Bergstrom
Chris Bergstrom is the president and CEO of John Marshall Bank. John Marshall Bancorp, Inc. is the bank holding company for John Marshall Bank. John Marshall Bank is headquartered in Reston, Virginia and has eight full-service branches.
Chris has over 38 years of experience in banking, previously holding a variety of executive positions during his 19 years with Cardinal Financial and Cardinal Bank, such as serving as president and CEO before United Bank’s acquisition of Cardinal Bank in April 2017. Bergstrom was United Bank’s president before joining John Marshall Bank in 2018.
Chris has a B.A. in Business Administration from James Madison University and an M.S. in Finance from Virginia Commonwealth University.
As chairman-elect, he is slated to become VBA Chairman in June 2022.
The Virginia Bankers Association represents banks of all sizes and charters and has served as the unified voice for Virginia’s $881 billion banking industry and its 45 thousand employees since 1893. To learn more about the VBA, click here.