VBA Bank Day Scholarship Program
Sponsored by the VBA Education Foundation and the VBA Emerging Bank Leaders
Bank Day 2017 will take place on March 21, 2017.
Click here to register your bank's participation.
Click here for the 2017 Bank Day information packet, which includes details on the event, important deadlines for the program, a sample Bank Day schedule, the essay guidelines the students will receive, and articles on Bank Day from Virginia Banking magazine, which demonstrate the highlights of Bank Day over the last year. The VBA will send a complete Bank Day Resources Guide and a Bank Day Press Kit to your bank's designated contact once we receive your interest form.
What is Bank Day?
The third Tuesday in March was declared Bank Day in Virginia by the Virginia General Assembly in 1991. On this day, Virginia high school seniors spend a day in banks across the Commonwealth shadowing a banker in their daily duties. The purpose of this experience is for the students to learn about banking, financial services, and the vital role banks play in their communities.
From their experience, the students are required to write an essay, and seven scholarships (six regional and one statewide) are awarded on the basis of the essays.
High school senior
Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
$26,000 total -
$1,000 Each for Six Honorable Mention Scholarships
$2,500 Each for Six Regional Winners
$5,000 Statewide Winner ($7,500 total since all candidates will also be regional winners)
2016 Scholarship Program Winners
The six regional winners were entered into the statewide essay contest. The winner of the statewide contest won an additional $5,000 and received a total of $7,500 for their college education.
The 2016 statewide essay contest winner was Noah Petersen from Banner Christian School who wrote an essay about his experience with Village Bank. Congratulations Noah!
The following students had the winning regional essays and received $2,500:
• Capitol Regional Winner: Noah Petersen, Banner Christian School, Village Bank
• Central/Southside Regional Winner: Ashley Tiller, James River High School, Bank of Botetourt
• Hampton Roads/Eastern Shore Regional Winner: Jessica Thomas, Northumberland High School, Bank of Lancaster
• Northern Virginia Regional Winner: Matt Wohlleben, Oakton High School, United Bank
• Southwest Virginia Regional Winner: Dakota Langford, Eastern Montgomery High School, Union Bank & Trust
• Valley Regional Winner: Rebecca Straley, Riverheads High School, First Bank & Trust
This year, an additional six, $1,000 honorable mention scholarships were awarded, one in each of the regions. The following students were chosen as the honorable mention winners:
• Capitol Honorable Mention Winner: Anthony Rivas, Brunswick Academy, Benchmark Community Bank
• Central/Southside Honorable Mention Winner: Carly Cook, James River High School, Bank of Botetourt
• Hampton Roads/Eastern Shore Honorable Mention Winner: Sean Wells, Warwick High School, Old Point National Bank
• Northern Virginia Honorable Mention Winner: Max McNerney, Loudoun Valley High School, Middleburg Bank
• Southwest Virginia Honorable Mention Winner: Allie Smith, Ridgeview High School, New Peoples Bank
• Valley Honorable Mention Winner: Faith Ritenour, Strasburg High School, First Bank, Strasburg
Questions? Please contact Monica McDearmon at 804-819-4743.