2022 VBA/ABA Washington Summit Recap
March 7-9, 2022
On March 7-9, more than 1,600 bankers from across the county attended the in-person and virtual VBA/ABA Washington Summit, with more than 60 attendees from Virginia. Summit attendees heard from lawmakers and regulators, with new leaders in place at regulatory agencies, Congress eyeing the midterm elections and the nation’s economic recovery still unpredictable.
A special thank you to National Capital Bank for hosting the Virginia group on Tuesday afternoon for our legislator visits as well as FHLBank Atlanta for hosting our joint reception with the Maryland Bankers Association.
You can view session recordings from the 2022 Summit here.
Save the date for the 2023 VBA/ABA Washington Summit on March 20-22 in Washington, D.C.
Program Sessions & Speakers
Sessions and topics at this year’s Summit included:
- What’s at Stake in Washington - ABA President & CEO Rob Nichols
- Congress & Banking Policy - Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA), Rep. Patrick McHenry (R-NC), Sen. Jerry Moran (R-KS) and Sen. Jon Tester (D-MT)
- The View from Main Street
- Moderator: Peter Cook, Chief Communications Officer, American Bankers Association
- Scott Anderson, ABA Chair; President and CEO, Zions Bank
- Laurie Stewart, President and CEO, Sound Community Bank
- Ignacio Urrabazo, Jr., President and CEO, Commerce Bank
- Focus on Financial Inclusion: The Growth of Bank On - Naomi Camper, ABA Chief Policy Officer
- A Conversation on Current Cyber Threats - Nitin Natarajan, Deputy Director of the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA)
- SWIFT, Sanctions and What Russia’s Invasion of Ukraine Means for America’s Banks - Juan Zarate, Global Co-Managing Partner and Chief Strategy Officer, K2 Integrity
- The Outlook for the SAFE Banking Act - Rep. Ed Perlmutter (D-CO)
- The Economic Outlook - Richard DeKaser, EVP & Chief Corporate Economist, Wells Fargo
- The View from the OCC - Acting Comptroller of the Currency Michael Hsu
- The Outlook for Politics & Policy - Former Senators Claire McCaskill (D-MO) and Kelly Ayotte (R-NH)
- Women and Allies Keynote - SBA Administrator Isabella Casillas Guzman
The 2022 Washington Summit also featured the Mutual Community Bank Forum, the Emerging Leaders Forum and the Women and Allies Networking Lunch. Learn more about this year’s EBL Summit Scholarship recipients here.
Stay Engaged in Advocacy
Sign Up for Our Legislative Bulletin
This bulletin is a biweekly communication during the General Assembly Session, sent to members to keep them updated on pending legislation that would impact banking. Special Legislative Bulletins are also distributed throughout the year to keep members up-to-date on other government relations and advocacy events and initiatives. Click here to sign up for this as well as other VBA eNewsletters and publications.
Be on the Look-Out for Call-to-Action Alerts
Sign up for VBA call-to-action alerts here.