VBA Emerging banking leaders (EBL)Formerly the VBA Leadership Division
The Emerging Bank Leaders (EBL) is a group that connects Virginia’s emerging bank leaders to engage them in the future of the banking industry. More than 430 bankers are members of the EBL, which is split into six regions within the state. It is free to join the group, and there are no age or participation requirements. You must be an employee of a VBA member bank to join.
To ensure a continuum of leadership for the future of Virginia Banking.
- DEVELOP. As an emerging bank leader, I develop my professional skills in order to grow and progress within my career in the banking industry. Members participate in the Leadership Conference as well as attend Regional Events. The Leadership Conference gives emerging bank leaders the opportunity to share ideas with their peers, gain valuable career insight from bank CEOs and learn from industry speakers. Sessions and speakers are chosen directly from input from EBL members. At least twelve Regional Events are held across the state.
- CONNECT. As an emerging bank leader, I connect with other bank professionals from across Virginia. In addition to furthering bankers’ leadership and career development, the Regional Events are a great opportunity to get to know other bankers and to build relationships within the industry. There are many networking opportunities at the Leadership Conference, and registering for VBA Financial Literacy programs or Government Relations events provides more opportunities to meet and connect with other emerging bank leaders.
- ENGAGE. As an emerging bank leader, I engage with the industry and other bankers. Helping improve the financial literacy of Virginia’s youth is a major focus of the VBA and the entire banking industry. Members of the EBL receive information on VBA Financial Literacy programs and are encouraged to participate in events like Teach Children to Save Day, Get Smart About Credit Day and the VBA Bank Day Scholarship Program. Likewise, VBA works to positively influence the legislative landscape in support of industry initiatives. Members of the EBL will receive information on VBA Government Relations programs and are encouraged to meet and foster relationships with their legislators at events such as VBA Banker Day in Richmond, the VBA/ABA Government Relations Summit in DC and State Legislative Meetings.
Region 1: Northern Virginia
Region 2: Capitol (to include Fredericksburg and Northern Neck)
Region 3: Hampton Roads/Eastern Shore
Region 4: Central/Southside (to include Roanoke, Lynchburg, Danville)
Region 5: Valley
Region 6: Southwest Virginia
Each region has a Regional Director:
Region 1: Browning Herbert, Middleburg Bank
Region 2: Tim Duffee, First Community Bank
Region 3: Sarah Shaffner, Xenith Bank
Region 4: Marcus Wade, Bank of Botetourt
Region 5: Aaron Green, Farmers & Merchants Bank
Region 6: James Bowen, First Bank & Trust Company
Get ConnectedJoin Our Group on Facebook
- Are you committed to a banking career?
- Are you interested in leadership and career development?
- Are you interested in becoming more involved in Virginia’s banking industry?
- Are you interested in meeting other bankers in Virginia?
- Are you interested in working to increase financial literacy among Virginia’s youth?
- Are you interested in becoming more involved in political grassroots efforts in Virginia and in Washington, DC on behalf of Virginia’s banking industry?
If you answered “yes!” to any of these questions, please click here to sign up.
Contact the VBA's Chandler Owdom with questions.